Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Thing #7: Instant Messaging

I'm from the IMing days of "ICQ" and "AIM"...so I'd say I'm very familiar with the concept. Instant messaging helped sharpen my typing skills! I no longer use instant messaging as a form of communicating.  I'm more of a text messaging type of person now. It eliminates the need to find a platform that matches the person you're trying to message. As long as they have a cell phone that gets text messages, you're good to go! There's no need to be in front of a computer...but who knows, IMing could make a comeback with phones basically becoming tiny portable computers. It would be great to be able to message family across the globe without the $1/international text message charge.

As for using instant messaging to ask a question or answer one, I think it's a great way to go about it! You can keep track of what is being asked and figure out if you truly answered that person's question. A challenge would be if the person has trouble explaining in writing what it is they are asking. There are times when nonverbal cues such as hand motions or tone of voice can really help put together the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment